People age 65+ are the fastest growing segment of the U.S. population. Everyone experiences change as they grow older, and the experience can be a good one.
Are you one of those who will age well and be happy in later years? Check your attitude about aging. Is it positive – or not? Our attitudes about aging directly determine how happy we will be.
Some of the more obvious changes we can anticipate with aging are:
- Men become more comfortable with their emotions and express them more freely, while women become more assertive with what they want in life.
- Many older people find retirement more enjoyable when they remain active mentally and physically. Some people find a second or third career to be very stimulating.
- Research shows that people who are the happiest in retirement continue to eat well and stay active by exercising, working and playing.
- Proper nutrition remains an important factor for a healthy life. Although our metabolism slows down and we need fewer calories, it is important to maintain a healthy balanced diet.
- Napping may become more frequent. People may adopt the same napping patterns they had as children. This is normal and usually results in more energy.
- As we reach older adulthood, we may find that less medication can be just as effective as a higher dosage in earlier years. But as is always the case, it is important to talk to your doctor about your medicines.
- Advanced planning of finances, housing, medical care, and leisure activities are important decisions to make now, in order to be happier later.