Headaches are a physical response to physical, environmental and emotional cues. Regardless of the source, headaches are credited for as many as 150 million workday absences each year in US businesses.
- It is estimated that US industry loses billions of dollars each year due to absenteeism and medical expenses caused by headaches.
- More than one billion dollars are spent annually on over the counter pain reliever for headaches.
- 70% of all migraine sufferers are women, while men account for 90% of all cluster headaches.
Types of Headache:
- Tension: Approximately 90% of all headaches are classified as the tension type. The pain is typically generalized all over the head. These headaches can occur episodically or daily. The daily headache is often caused by depression or other emotional problems.
- Migraines: Migraines can be hereditary. Recent research has proven that migraines have triggers including diet, stress and environmental changes. Migraines can be incapacitating and last from several minutes to several days.
- Cluster: Stabbing pain behind or around the eyes, or throbbing on one side of the head. There are an estimated one million cluster headache sufferers in the US.
If you suffer from headaches, contact your physician and contact: Employee Assistance Program 757-398-2374 or 1-800-EAP-3257.